Sunday, April 22, 2012

Happy Birthday Brandon Part 2


So after we left the aquarium, we went to this delicious Italian place to eat that I can't remember the name of. We were especially impressed with the caesar salads we ordered before our meal. When Brandon mentioned this to our waiter, he replied with something along the lines of "Oh, that's because we use real anchovies in our dressing." Then he just walked away looking so pleased with himself and his real anchovies. What he didn't know was that we both detest fish, so when he said that, we could immediately taste the fishiness and couldn't take another bite, and Brandon has been wary of ordering caesar anything since then.

I made mine into the shape of a fish. Naturally.


Then we decided to take a drive up to see the Draper Temple and the gorgeous homes behind it. We got to the very top of this enormous hill on the side of the mountain and got out to take in the view and take some pictures.

Seriously look at how high up we were! No cell reception at all!

Which leads me to the most interesting birthday adventure/fiasco we've ever had. In our entire year of marriage :) When we got back to the car to head home, I realized that I had misplaced the keys...on the driver's seat...and I had also made sure to lock the doors good and tight. Luckily I married a patient man with a good sense of humor, because we just stood there and laughed for a few minutes while we figured out a plan. We were also lucky that Brandon decided to keep his phone in his pocket instead of leaving it in the car like I did, but as I said before we were too high up in the mountains to get any service. So we took a little walk. And by "little" I mean at least a mile down to the main road.


My hero talking to Allstate

We were a little short on paper so we had to write our policy number in the snow!


Once we figured out that we were not, in fact, going to freeze to death stuck on the mountain forever, we decided to get to a good location for the Allstate guy to pick us up. We thought this church would make as good a spot as any, so up we went.


In the spirit of adventure, we couldn't just walk around the sidewalk to the top of the hill, and trudging through the snow was much faster anyway.

That snow was DEEP! Like up to my thighs deep!


But we made it!


After about an hour freezing in the entryway of the church building, we decided that Taz (our Allstate driver/door unlocker) was lost, and we were surely close to dying of hypothermia, so the decision was made to find another extraction zone. And hopefully a warmer one. This fire station is what we came up with (see below). Yes, after all that work hiking up the snowy mountainside to get to the church, we would have to go all the way back down and then some. Like I said, Lucky my husband-to-be knows how to laugh at life.


And here we are, inside the nice warm fire station waiting for our ride.


He eventually came and took us back up the mountain in his two-seater low rider truck (I sat on B's lap), unlocked our door in a matter of seconds, and we were on our way home. Definitely not one of my proudest moments, but in the end we honestly had a blast, and Brandon still says it was the best birthday he's ever had (right babe?). Either way, there is nobody in the world I would rather be stranded on a mountain with than him. We've had plenty more adventures since then, and I'm sure we'll have many more. Here' to spending forever with your best friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment